Thursday, October 18, 2012

{love with urgency, but not with haste} Mumford &Sons

At this point in time, my very favorite band is the British "Mumford & Sons." I love them with a love that is more than love. I love them more than is even healthy.  I love the voals, the folk-type instruments, the earthy tunes, and most of all I love their lyrics.
While they make no claims to be a "Christian Band", (who can blame them while looking at the state of that genre today) Marcus Mumford the leadsinger and songwriter for the band is an outspoken Christian. I consider the worldview of their lyrics to be equisitely biblical. {with the exception of the songs Little Lion Man, and Broken Crown, which contain some rather foul choices of language.}
The Lyrics as I said are chalk full of biblical phrases such as "widows and orphans" and "let the dead bury their dead." But more importantly the lyrics present an eloquent biblical worldview with which Christians can definitely identify, and even be chastened by. I know the Holy Spirit has used them to quicken my heart on more than one occasion.
Some of my favorite lines are the lyrics that present the most biblical concepts, such as:

"There is a designer, an alignment. The cry of my heart to see,the beauty of love as it was made to be."

"You can tie me to a post and block my ears, but i can still see widows and orphans through my tears, i know my call despite my faults and despite my growing fears."

"Awake my soul. For you were made to meet your maker."

"Can you kneel before the king; And say 'I'm clean, I'm clean.'?"

"Darkness is a harsh term don't you think? And yet it dominates the things I see. It seems that all my bridges have been burnt. But you say that's exactly how this grace thing works."

"I won't rot. Not in this mind and not in this heart, I won't rot. And I took you by the hand. And we stood tall, and remembered our own land, what we live for. And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears. And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears."

"Don't hold a glass over the flame. Don't let your heart grow cold. I will call you by name I will share your load."

"The blind man sleeps in the doorway-his home. If only i had an enemy bigger than my apathy i could have won."

Now you see why I love them? eloquent, complex lyrics that read like poetry, tackling really weighty topics like eternal life, and the call of the Christian. (...not to mention their voices that sound like British angels ;))
How do you feel about this band? Their music? Their lyrics? Their message? What are some of your favorite lines? Did i miss any?

2 comments:

  1. Love hearing your thoughts on this and I so agree. They are without a doubt one of my favorite bands for all the reasons stated above. Something about it just makes you feel...alive, you know?
    I didn't know that he was a Christian this is news good news! I'm just wondering though, like you said...I don't understand if he is a Christian why he would allow a great big F-bomb in the chorus? It seems kind of contradictory.
    That totally makes sense though. With all that it represents why would they want to identify with that genre? We need a new name for Christian cause its been perverted.
    Their lyrics ahh yes and haha yes they do sound like British angels. I think well I'm pretty sure its obvious that our entertainment culture has gotten so darn LAZY and bands like this bring the depth and genuine art back into into the craft.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts loved hearing and can't wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have wondered that myself. I mean how can some one who claims to be a christian and sing all of that biblical beauty i've already posted up there^^, drop the F-bomb multiple time in a chorus...i am not sure. i can't justify it.
    But i do know that he is from another culture, and the british people as a whole are more loose with their...um...vocabulary.Being from the Bible belt it is hard for me to imagine a culture where people don't act "Christianized" like they do here.
    I also know that words mean different things in different cultures. i have some friends in Britain and words we use regularly here have a COMPLETELY different and even innappropriate meaning, and visa versa. So i can't judge him.
    But like i said i don't know. That word could be just as bad there as it is here, It;s just a thought.
    But good question! Food for thought!

    ReplyDelete