Wednesday, January 23, 2013

{kids say...} literary misconceptions from the minds of Si and TJ



So, I thought it would be interesting to quiz my little brothers (7 and 8 years old) about their knowledge (or lack there of) of classic literature. I thought it’d be a laugh to gauge their misconceptions about some of the world’s most beloved stories…and believe me it was. Here is the result. Enjoy!

 Bleak House-somebody gets pox. Not chicken pox, the old kind of pox that we know a cure for now. There is an evil lady and the girl doesn’t know that she’s actually…….her MOM.

 Great Expectations- it’s about pip. There is this girl that he loves and she slaps him. She tries to teach him how to play cards. This other lady burns herself to death…and her house, but it was an old house.

 Lord of the Rings- the main character is Bilbo Saggypants and Gollum is his evil munchkin-he’s not evil you just don’t know what he is. And there are trolls and a lot of killing. They have to find the ring before it gets into Gollum’s or the dark lords hands….oh and also, there is a big spider that kills people.

 Pride and Prejudice- about a dumb man who dies on a boat.

 Hamlet- He’s a prince, there is this one girl who loves him but he accidentally kills her, and then the king kills the queen. And then everybody dies. The end.

 Christy- *singing* Neil MacNeil is Scottish.

 Jane Eyre- her friend dies. This one mean boy hits her with a book when she is little but when she grows up she becomes a missionary.

 Les Miserables- people die and cry, more people die and cry. There’s two mean people, they’re the masters of the house. People get married and someone dies. A woman cuts off her hair, and they can’t find the criminal they are looking for.

 Sherlock Holmes- he is a man who has to find mysteries. There’s a lot of murders…and snakes. He never carries a gun, he just punches people, but he has a friend who shoots bad guys for him.

A tale of Two Cities- it is about two cities. More than sixty hundred people die.

The Great Gatsby- It’s about a man named Gatsby who is very great. But I don’t know how he’s great with a name like ‘Gatsby.’

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. That's about the most adorable thing I've ever read. They all had Emmy and I laughing, but I think my favorite might be the description of Pride & Prejudice. Not sure where that comes from... haha this is so awesome.

    It made me think of this: http://www.babble.com/mom/judging-a-book-by-its-cover-a-6-year-old-guesses-what-classic-novels-are-all-about/#the-great-gatsby

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hilarious! I can't help but think of how when I was six or seven years old, I had similar ideas.

    ReplyDelete